My Cat

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
NikonNature
Contributing MemberPosts: 715Gear list
Like?
Re: My Cat
In reply to MajorSater, 4 months ago

First of all, that's a pretty cool looking cat. And for the most part I like the poses you captured.

From a technical side it looks like a challenging situation. If the cat's pupils are any indication, the ambient light was pretty low. That resulted in a shutter speed of 1/30 sec or less. Most portrait photographers aim for at least 1/60 sec. and that's for people who want their picture taken. So as mentioned, their is softness caused by motion by you and/or the cat. And ISO 6400 further emphasizes the lack of available light.

That said, I'm not sure how well a flash would work. It could startle the cat, or at least change his mood. So you might get one good shot and the cat might learn to fear your camera. You might have better results by adding constant lighting that the cat can adjust to. Or even use a large window. And of course if it's an outdoor cat that opens other possibilities.

So in short, I think you did pretty well in very challenging conditions. Improve the lighting, check your white balance, and you should great results.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow