A6000/A7 - Setting minimum shutter speed?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Sims
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
A6000/A7 - Setting minimum shutter speed?
4 months ago

I've just come across a new problem, and am not sure if I've missed a solution that may have been discussed on these forums before.

When using Aperture Priority (and I assume P-mode, which I never do) the camera seems to intelligently sets a minimum shutter speed of the higher of either 1/60, or 1/equiv 35mm FOV. So the 24-70/4.0 on my A7 would use 1/60 between 24-60mm and then climb to 1/80 (I assume rounding up from 1/70) by 70mm. On the A6000, my 16-70/4.0 also starts with 1/60, but then starts climbing earlier at 40mm, reaching 1/125 (again, rounding from 1/105) by 70mm. When using adapted lenses, it just uses 1/60 as it doesn't know what FOV the lens is. All this makes sense and I quite like the logic.

But here's my question, is there any way to set a minimum shutter speed myself? Up until now, I've been pretty happy with the algorithm Sony has imposed, but I just bought today a Leica 90/2.5 and I can straight away tell you that I lack the skill to handhold this at 1/60 and get sharp results.... I really need 1/100 or 1/125 on my A7, and I assume 1/150 or something on my A6000.

I love being able to just control DoF through moving the aperture around and pretty much forget about the other settings (leaving Auto ISO on)... but now I've gone into the telephoto range, the default 1/60 is too slow for my lack of steady hands. I've flicked through the menus, and can't find any way to do it... am I missing something?

Do I just have to resort to switching to Shutter priority / Manual and controlling shutter speed myself? Or has anyone come up with a better solution?

-- hide signature --
 Rob Sims's gear list:Rob Sims's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +9 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow