ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,274Gear list
Like?
Is this normal?
2 months ago

50mm is my go-to, default prime for street and most things.

For Nikon, I first bought the 50/1.8D because it's small, light, pretty sharp and the recessed front element is good in the rain.

But I eventually switched to the 50/1.8G because of its superior IQ and smooth rendering.  And I'm very happy with it.

I bought the Otus for no practical reason, but to have the experience of a medium formatish experience on the cheap.  It has been fun to use and made me a more thoughtful photographer.

I shoot with the D810 by day and the D4s at night.

In reading about the Sigma Art, I find myself thinking, well, the resolution is truly great, but that only shows how all around excellent the Otus beast really is.

But I do street.   So I rationally think that I should get the Art for better resolution than the 50/1.8G.   Yet the Sigma is bigger and heavier.  And it's bokeh is a little nervous.

So my question is, on a practical basis, what would I gain from using the Art over the 50/1.8G?   Is it just resolution at large apertures?   I'm not sure I'm being rational, since cost is not an issue.  Maybe I'm just being protective of my decision to get the Otus?   Maybe the Sigma would render better than the 50/1.8G?

Everyone agrees the Art is better than the 50/1.8G, but is it worth the tradeoff for street and event shooting, in size and weight?

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Nikon D4s Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow