Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
derekmjenkins
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Advice on next m-4/3 camera
4 months ago

I have had a GH1 since 2007 when I ditched my Canon 10D and lenses.  With it I have the following lenses:

Panasonic 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 OIS

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 Macro

Olympus 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6

Lately I find the EVF in the GH1 difficult to use.  It is not very high resolution and it does not render colors very well.  Focus is not great on the camera either.  The low resolution rear LCD does not always show issues with shots well, so you don't notice until you are back at your PC.

Sadly, I paid almost $2000 CDN for the GH1 and 14-140mm lens 7 years ago.  Now, it looks like I would be lucky to get $200 for the camera.  Is it worth selling, or keep it for a backup?  I travel a lot and like to keep things small so the thought of dragging a GH1 body and battery around is not that appealing.

Let's assume I stick with m-4/3, which I am not completely convinced of.  I like in-body IS because then you can use both Panasonic and Olympus lenses without worry.  I also like the size of the Olympus PEN/OM-D cameras. But I really like Panasonic flip-out LCD screens.

I really like the small 9-18mm lens.  Compared to the 7-14, it is tiny and produces great results.

I don't really use the 45mm macro.  Too restrictive, and I just never got into macro shooting. It's alot more difficult than I thought.

The 20mm is excellent quality, but it is pretty specialized.  I will probably keep it for low light situations.  However, it is really loud focusing for video though which is really annoying!

That leaves the 14-140mm.  This lens is OK, nothing spectacular if you ask me (granted I used to shoot Canon 100-400 L) and is pretty big for an everyday lens.

Here is my wishlist

• System must reach from 9mm to 200mm (18-400mm equivalent)
  • GPS - Can't say this enough.  The best thing about the iPhone photos for travel photographers is the automatic GPS.
  • HDR - In-Camera is OK ala iPhone (pretty limited though), but also tagging photos for later processing would be nice.
  • Panorama - Must be in-camera. Olympus doesn't do this as far as I know which is a big downer.  I take a bunch of panoramas with my iPhone.  
  • Timelapse - No reason all camera's shouldn't have basic timelapse.  However I currently have a TriggerTrap dongle.
  • Slo-Mo video - 120 fps or higher HD video modes.
  • Wi-Fi - triggering, "Live View", and image transfer.
  • 1080p 60/30/24 fps shooting modes.
  • Flash - Built in flash isn't that important.  In camera flash is aweful anyway.

So what do people think I should do?  I like the following:

1. OM-D EM1 - expensive and for the price doesn't tick all of the boxes.
  2. GH4 - expensive, bulky and doesn't tick all of the boxes.
  3. FZ1000 - almost checks all of the boxes, except can't reach ultra-wide angle like 9mm (18mm equivalent) can.  Could keep the 9-18 with the GH1 though.
  4. OM-D EM10 - Better price point than EM1.  3-axis stabilization scares me compared to the 5-axis.
  5. PEN EP5 - would love to be in this size range!  Not sure the PEN cameras are in the same league as the OM-D series.
  6. Fuji X series - any recommendations here? Biggest zoom is 230mm I think (368 equivalent).  Extremely high cost to change over!
  7. Sony NEX/Alpha Mirrorless - Camera's are nice and small, lenses are pretty big.  Biggest zoom is 200mm (320mm equivalent) though.  High cost to change over.

Maybe the best answer is to wait one or two more years for the right camera to come out.  By then my GH1 will literally be worth nothing!

derekmjenkins's gear list:derekmjenkins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EM-5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow