Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Portrait Combo?
In reply to Amamba, 1 month ago

Amamba wrote:

teseg wrote:

I have had a Sony RX1 for 1 1/2 years and absolutely love it for all manner of photography. So much so to the point that 95%+ of all my 10K+ photos since it was purchased have come from this lovely machine and several months ago I sold off all my cropped sensor equipment. When I would take crop sensor pictures the malleability and quality of the files were clearly inferior in many ways. The RX1 sensor + lens really makes an unbeatable combo. HOWEVER... I never have been into shooting portraits... until recently.

More recently my wife and son have started to appreciate my photographs and more and more have been asking I photography them or their friends at various functions. With a 35mm FL lens I have finally found the RX1's limitation.

What is the ideal camera body and lens for amazing portrait photography (make + model)? I'm interested in a FF body and ~90mm lens. Suggestions and samples appreciated.

You don't need a FF body, the best portraits I've ever shot were with a Canon APS-C DSLR and an $350 Canon EF85/1.8 - an amazing lens for colors, sharpness and bokeh. If I was only shooting portraits and could use only one lens, a T4i + EF85/1.8 would be my preferred combo.

Interesting observation that a FF camera does not add that extra something special for portraits.  I suppose purely from bokeh/separation perspective there could be a FF advantage... but then with a f/1.2 to f/1.8 lens on a cropped camera it would not be much of an issue.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow