ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
javiair
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
PC question $500 vs $1000 Vs time
1 month ago

Back in 2010, this is what I bought.

Dell XPS15 (X501) with the 1st generation i5 processor with 8gb ram. Lightroom 3 and a Nikon D90.

Everything ran great, no problems with anything and to this day the trio function famously. Now 4 years later I decided to upgrade and bought myself a Nikon D610, and had to upgrade to LR5..but now the 4yr old Dell XPS15 is having big problems with the larger 24mp pictures. I cant upgrade the RAM and I thought that the first generation i5 processor could handle it, but I guess not. So now the problem with buying a new computer.

I decided on a desktop. Dollar for Dollar I will get the most power in a desktop and if I start making a lot of money off of my pictures, then Ill get a laptop but until that happens the Desktop is more ecconomical for me.. I have found the Dell XPS8700 to be more than capable of running LR5 but it ranges around $800-$1200. The computer will primarily be for editing pictures and general everyday use and I figured  computers have about a 4yr shelf life, so here is my question.

Would it be better to buy something cheaper that will run LR5 around the $500 range and buy another one in 2 years or should I buy a $1000 computer that will last around 4yrs? I figured that Im going to keep the camera for 3-4yrs and will probably have to do the same thing and upgrade everything to the new camera in 3-4 years...

I know that an i7 with 16gb of Ram is more than enough to run LR5 with the 24mp images from the D610. What would be the minimums needed to run what I have smoothly?

sorry for the long post, just thinking out loud to which one would be better to buy.. and just as a side note, all my pictures are backed up and on a portable hdd so moving from one computer to the other shouldnt be a problem.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610 Nikon D90 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow