Once again about the 1Dx and the dust issues...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Laci55
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
Once again about the 1Dx and the dust issues...
2 months ago

Here is my story... I've got my camera about 1 year and a half ago. My camera belonged to the recall group... Yes, I had some dust in the view finder and on the sensor but I've never been worried because the camera worked beautifully... Anyhow after about 50 000 exposures strange things begin to happen...The sensor was horribly dirty and I noticed that sometimes I had to move the camera or the focus point to get the AF activated. At the same time I noticed a little line on the upper side of the picture what was about two third steps overexposed. The over exposed very thin line was not exactly parallel with the pictures upper side it was a bit broader on the right side... I realized that all the symptoms could come from the dust issue Canon made the recall for... I took the camera to CPS and first they just wanted to clean the sensor... The AF issue was caused by dust they said but the dust could have come from outside of the camera... The first judgment about the shutter was that it was a shutter bouncing and not something else. Of course I could not accept a shutter bouncing at a top model when no other of my cameras showed this sign. The camera stayed at CPS and they wanted to investigate it again... I said I wanted to have a solution what took care of the reason of the problems and not just some temporary cleaning... I said I thought that they should change the mirror box and the shutter and they should do a real cleaning up in the viewfinder too... After some days they called me and said that they will do all those things I thought they should... Some days later I had a call and they said that they found many other problems too and instead of the extensive part changing I will get a new camera. I just got this new camera now with 2 years warranty... This camera is a totally different animal then the first one... I was very happy with the first one but this new one was noticeably faster in the AF department and most of my lenses was spot on with the AF without any micro calibration. I do think that Canon made some silent changes in the production of this camera... I do hope that the new one will work faultlessly for many years from now... The moral of the story is two folded... 1, Be very specific and do not accept temporary solutions when you have some technical issues... 2, Nice to have a company who is really taking responsibility and at the end solve the problems. As I said I just can hope that the new camera will continue to work faultlessly...

-- hide signature --

'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...' Kipling
www.illesphoto.se

Laci55's gear list:Laci55's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow