Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,895Gear list
Like?
an annoying Pentax misfeature
2 months ago

I complained about this long ago with my K10D and screwdrive zoom lenses, and I'm a bit surprised to find it's still the case with a K-3 and an SDM prime.  The problem is, when the phase-detect focus sensor completely loses track of anything to focus on, the camera responds by racking the lens all the way in to nearest focus, and then back out, rather than going outwards first and then back in.  This is completely backwards, because generally speaking, photographers always have and always will take the great majority of their pictures with the focus in the outer half of the focus range.

This is especially true in the circumstances where you're most likely to completely lose track of focus, which is when aiming up into the sky.  So it makes far more sense to rack the focus out and then in, instead of in and then out.  On average, you'll reacquire focus lock much more quickly that way.  Also, you'll be able to see the general scenery during the refocusing interval, instead of being blinded by everything being maximally defocused.

Fixing this would be a dead simple firmware tweak.  You could even provide a configuration option for it, in case some people always want to go near first, like if they specialize in macros against blurred-out backgrounds.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Pentax K10D Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow