Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,503Gear list
Like?
Fujinon 18-135 vs 18-55
2 months ago

I had to wait to have my oil changed this morning, so I took the opportunity to compare my new 18-135 with my old 18-55. In making the comparison the 18-135 was mounted on my X-E2 and the 18-55 on my X-E1. The firs set of pictures was from the 18-135 at roughly 35 mm. Shown is the original flus three crops at different apertures, wide open, f5.6 and f8. The same is true for the second set from the 18-55, except the first picture in the series is approximates the wide open aperture of the 18-135 but is actually stopped down from the maximum aperture of the 18-55.

Note that the focus point is the no parking sign in the middle of the full view version. This sign is on the left hand side of the cropped version.

Also note that, although the sun is behind a cloud, it was high in the sky and the pictures are actually back lit. As a result contrast is lacking. A few pictures shot in the other direction show good contrast.

I have taken the same pictures at 18mm and 55 mm and the results are the same. I have also done the same series comparing the 18-135 with the 55-200.  Also please bear in mind that I am not a measurebator and would rather spend my time taking pictures.

My bottom line: after looking at a lot of pictures at 1:1, I am hard pressed to tell the difference in center sharpness between the 18-135 and the 18-55.

18-135 pictures

18-55

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow