question about filters and IQ

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: question about filters and IQ
In reply to Sir Canon, 4 months ago

yes but a shattered front element costs way more.

From my point if view if an impact shatters a thick front element, then chances are a thin filter probably wouldn't reduce the impact enough to "save" the lens.
I have heard stories from people swearing that the filter saved their lens, and others swearing that the filter caused more damage to the lens.
A lot of the time you can never prove one way or another if a filter saved or damaged a lens as you can never exactly reproduce the circumstances.
It has been proven that under certain conditions, a filter will affect the IQ, the better quality filters have less of an effect.
There are certain circumstances that filters can be beneficial (beach, pollen, smoke etc) not counting special filters like circular polarisers or ND filters etc.
If you really want to protect your lens, I think you would be better served by getting insurance.

Just as an aside, a bit of a follow-on from the broken filter article (which personally I feel wasn't a particularly challenging scene)

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow