question about filters and IQ

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831
Like?
Re: Filters can offer benefits.
In reply to scorrpio, 1 month ago

scorrpio wrote:

A poor quality clear filter significantly degrades your image quality, has a fairly negligible impact on your wallet, and provides zero benefit.

A high quality clear filter has negligible impact on your image quality, significantly degrades your wallet contents, and provides zero benefit.

This really does sound very smart, if one doesn't let the facts get in the way of creating a nice expression.

Filters can have benefits.

I would not necessarily consider protecting the front element from impact damage one of them, but if you are in such environment it will do good service in protectig your lens from the effects of heavy smoke, dust, grime, grease, sand, sticky fingers, wet pet noses and the like.

A family BBQ or a trip to the beach are almost inevitably such environments.

Yes, you have to be aware of fake items being sold mainly online, and yes, the dealer will attempt ro make good money on this item. Buyer beware.

Most of the time I will make a reasonable effort to find the item with the best price/performance ratio. In this instance I have settled on using Nikon NC or Hoya Super SMC Pro1 filters when appropriate.

Your mileage may vary.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow