Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,590
Like?
RX100 as a point & shoot
1 month ago

Does anyone have any experience teaching someone about, or setting up an RX100 for a point & shooter ?

My friend just bought his wife an RX100 for family/vacation photos & videos. She previously used one of the more compact superzoom Cybershot models and liked using it a lot, but wanted something smaller and with better low light photo and video quality. (My RX100 is customized in a way that would be unsuitable for her; I shoot raw and have not ventured into many of the processing features.)

She's a true point & shooter, so I'm thinking easy access to scene modes, maybe HDR & panoramic is about the extent of 'control' she'll want. I haven't used scene modes on the camera, so don't know how they appear and how you select/change them once you put the mode dial into scene mode ... I'm assuming it's easy.

I'd like to recommend iAuto+ but in my experience, it's kind of a crap shoot because you don't know if the camera is going to be taking multiple shots so you don't know if you should hold the camera steady for a couple seconds or if it's just for a quick exposure ... is there some kind of warning that I've missed ?

I welcome any hints/tips for the point & shooter or any suggested customizations.

Finally, any recommendation on which video format to use ? It's highly unlikely that she'll ever do anything other than dump a series of clips to a DVD without editing. (I use AVCHD and edit in Vegas Pro when I get around to doing something with my video clips; most of them sit on my hard drive waiting for more free time ...)

Thank you,

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow