nikonuserinfo
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't see the forest for the trees
In reply to Rick Knepper, 4 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

nikonuserinfo wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

but only in the sense that he is seeing a fact and talking about the near term. Where he is wrong is in his conclusion. Getting away from NX-2 will be the best thing that ever happened to Nikon photographers who have become dependent on this software.

Rick,

What a strange reasoning... Someone might say the same about Adobe software. It would be just a very poor evolution in relation to creativity that finally everybody might use DNG or Adobe...

Of course this would seem strange to you. You can't see the forest for the trees in terms of this particular issue. You are too upset that Nikon "took something away" from you to see that the possibilities are now wide open (until such time that you lock yourself into the next software solution - and I would suggest that be PS CC).

My dear, I use PS since CS, always with official PS licence keys until PS cs 6, and I know how it works, but I prefer to work with NX2 for Nikon NEF files, by far. I use PS for other applications.

And no, I've never seen anyone who has learned PS and ACR completely declare they are giving up Photoshop to use a rudimentary alternative from a camera maker.

For most folks looking at this thread now (perhaps in the USA only), there is an ad in the right-hand panel for PS and LR for $9.99/month.

To avoid those commercial banners, I have excellent software. It keeps my screen totally clean.

...I strongly advise jumping on that offer.

All this cloud sh*t is nothing for me. Privacy failed too often and will keep failing. CS6 was the last version for me. There is excellent other photo software as well to find, sometimes even for free.

Anyhow, since D810 NEF is not supported by NX2, I shoot NEFs in neutral setting (one of the great qualities NX software has is that it keeps the picture style settings when opening a NEF file ) -> eventually adjust exposure and WB with NikonView NX2.10 -> conversion to TIFF with NikonView NX2.10 -> go to NX2 to do the final touch with its great U point tech. ->After that I use PS CS5 to put eventually some text.

I've addressed this in another thread but Picture Style and the Image Enhancement features are nothing more than (post)-processing going on internally in the camera. What you see when you open a NEF in "NX-whatever" is not the raw NEF unless you purposely turn off all of that stuff. The good news is that you can still produce the same result by your own hand with PS or any other decent photo-editing software [with some training].

More good news being that Adobe will support any camera produced by Nikon in the foreseeable future. Hard to imagine Adobe taking a software icon like Photoshop off the market. Plus, you can create your own profiles for ACR or buy 3rd party profiles from folks who done the learning themselves and know how to create profiles for ACR.

Done all that, prefer NX2

Several key functions in NEF conversion are missing in NikonView 2.10 and NX-D though, and that's a pity.

Refer to my previous paragraph. Whatever key feature you believe you have lost and the result that feature produces can be accomplished in PS. Once learned and incorporated into the workflow, Nikon can't take your PS away from you.

Do you work for Adobe?

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow