Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ninjapimp
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Using an ND 3.0 filter and auto exposure
1 month ago

On my Nikon D800 i use a 10 stop filter (ND 3.0), in broad daylight i set camera to f22 and for general sake the camera exposes for 1/400s which means it will take about 2 minutes for the shot to appear.

however if i do this on the sony a7r its a different thing, what should take about 2 minutes to expose happens in 2 to 3 seconds.

aperture mode f 22, iso 50, nikkor 24mm f2, bulb mode, trigger remote set to 2 minutes. i also use trigger happy to set expose time to 2min.

my guess is the sony is compensating for the nd 3.0 which baffles me. I set both cameras identical exposure. on the nikon there is no preview, hence ya gotta do some math to figure out how long to expose but on the sony it can see right thru the nd 3.0, which seems amazing to me as i can focus and do everything, whereas on the nikon it would simply be pitch black but on the sony image appears normal.

however this ruins the creative aspect.

how do i tell the sony camera to not compensate, i want to expose for 2 minutes so as to the clouds drag across the sky.

there must be a setting in the a7r that overides it but i've not found it.

ninjapimp's gear list:ninjapimp's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow