Which fast telephoto zoom for my dad to use with D810?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amin Sabet
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,720Gear list
Like?
Which fast telephoto zoom for my dad to use with D810?
11 months ago

My dad has been doing photography for several decades now and recently asked me to help him pick out a nice Nikon kit.  He likes doing photography mostly of flowers, landscapes, and people.  Not a lot of action/sports.

On my advice he just got a D810 along with a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART lens.

He'd like to add a telephoto zoom and prefers f/2.8 rather than f/4.  He read up a bit and was leaning towards a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 zoom, but he rarely uses a tripod, and I'm concerned it might be too heavy for him.  Would a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR be noticeably lighter in use?  Also, he has a tremor, so if one has better image stabilization than the other, that could be an important factor.  Any other lenses to consider in this class?

Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 +8 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow