ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
carlosvp
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Noticeable noise/vibration from E-M1 stabilizer only with very long lens
4 months ago

Hi, all,

I recently added an E-M1 to go with my GX1.  I updated the firmware to 1.4 as soon as I got it.  This is the first time I've used the 5-axis in-body stabilization (and wow, is it ever effective).  I was prepared for some humming/etc noise that I'd read about, but I have to say, I didn't notice any noise from it with any of my normal m4/3 lenses.

Then, yesterday, I put a cheapo fixed-aperture manual-focus 500mm mirror lens on the camera and configured the focal length to 500mm in the menu, and immediately noticed fairly loud buzzing and vibration when the shutter was half-pressed.  It even seemed to "clunk" a little.

I realize this isn't indicative of a problem, but I'm curious as to why I would only notice it with this lens.  I didn't get anything like this even with the Panasonic 100-300 at the long end.  Any ideas why?  Is it simply that this lens is long enough to mean the stabilizer has to go into high gear to keep up with the wobbling of the user?

C.

ANSWER:
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow