Why not a ultra wide angle lens with a lot of zoom?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
masser120
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Why not a ultra wide angle lens with a lot of zoom?
4 months ago

When I'm traveling I notice that 90% of the pictures I take are made with my standard Canon 17-85 zoom lens. Only a few times I grab my telelens for some distant shots. I currently don't own an ultra wide angles lens (<15mm, I'm talking APS-C here) but I would really like one (the new Canon 10-18mm seems nice), though as I am on a student budget currently don't have the money for it. Traveling around in a group changing lenses causes me to hold back everybody, so I would much rather stick with as few lenses as possible. Though that 17-85 lens is not mine and I'm currently borrowing it (my own camera unfortunately was stolen recently and I only had the money to buy a new body), I'm looking for a new standard zoom lens, perhaps a lens with a wider zoom range as most photography I do is again while traveling. But I'm looking for something that does not exist.

There is one thing I noticed with all ultra zoom lenses. They keep going longer and longer. However, only Tamron recently released one with also some more range on the wider end: 16-300mm.

So why is there no lens that reaches from, for instance, 10-100mm or 12-120mm (APS-C terms)? Is it that much harder to make, even though it is 'only' 10x zoom (in comparison with Tamron's 16-300 18x zoom). Or is there no demand? Would you like a lens like this?

To me it seems ideal for traveling as most landscape is wide angle. Just wondering why there is none.

-- hide signature --

Maarten

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow