Wide aperture - Pictures out of focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,915Gear list
Like?
Re: No one is saying that it can't be done.....
In reply to Doss, 2 months ago

Doss wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Doss wrote:

But it doesn't work well for beginners, or frankly most amateur photographers. And, you pay a lot of $$ for it. If a beginner can't really make use of it, what is the point of spending all that $$?

Yes...but - Having gone out and bought such a lens the first thing I would suggest to anyone (beginner or otherwise) is run a few tests shots and make sure it is usable wide open - for when you need it.

Well, I guess I wouldn't go out and buy a lens, especially and expensive one unless I knew it was going to work for what I wanted to do.  DOF tables are not a secret (they used to be supplied with every lens) and are available on the Internet.  Thus, before buying a fancy f/1.8 85mm portrait lens you would think that a person would look at a DOF table and say, "hey, this thing isn't going to work for tight head and shoulder shots wide open-the DOF is too shallow, maybe I would be better off buying an 85mm f.2.8 lens instead and save a few hundred dollars!".

but I don't think they were trying to get a desired effect,. I think they were just testing out a new lens and wanted to be sure they could get away with using it at f1.8 - which is the point of having a lens with that setting!

And he couldn't. And neither could I, and neither could you in that setting,

Erm - Yes, I most certainly could! Why do you not find this achievable?

Because for a tight head and shoulders shot at 10 feet, 85mm, f/1.8 the DOF is exactly 0.28 feet (about 3").   You can not get the entire head of a subject in focus.  Can't.  Period. Look at the DOF tables.

with that light unless you started using ND filters or something.

And why bring ND filters into the equation? I'm off! You're making me feel as confused as you sound

To still use f/1.8 and......oh, forget it.

Tedolph

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow