Feelings about HDR in this forum section ???

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
NikonNature
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
Re: Feelings about HDR in this forum section ???
In reply to Fish Chris, 1 month ago

I would humbly say that if I can tell it's an HDR image, then I don't like it. As someone else mentioned, they do not resemble anything I have seen in nature. For the shots you posted (nice compositions btw), they get progressively worse as far as looking over-processed. The first looks pretty natural and has only a 'light' HDR feel.

My take on HDR is that it's purpose is to handle scenes with a dynamic range greater than what a single frame could handle. I have never done HDR, but I have done a few exposure blends where I manually combine two or three frames to get the highlights and shadows where I want them. In doing so, I have learned the importance of 'relative luminosity' which has to do with keeping the relative brightness of elements in the scene intact (not the best explanation, so I recommend researching it). In my mind, the typical HDR crowds too much information in the mid-tones to where values start to overlap. I do not think this is an inherent problem with HDR, but rather with how folks use it.

Of course, other people love the garish affects it can produce. I'm just not one of them.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow