Nex-6 / A6000: Should I buy an 18-200 lens, or a Panasonic FZ-1000!?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wsalopek
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Nex-6 / A6000: Should I buy an 18-200 lens, or a Panasonic FZ-1000!?
4 months ago

I love my Nex-6, and have been wanting an 18-200 walk-around lens for those instances when that kind of lens seems most convenient/appropriate.

But...

At $850 and up for one of those lenses, (Sony / e-mount ... ughh!), well, I can buy an FZ-1000, have a greater zoom range (25-400 vs 28-300 (35mm equivalent)), at FASTER f/ratios, and also have 4k video, which I see as and awesome way to grab still frames at JUST the right moments at outdoor (well lit) sports events.

Of course the sensor on the FZ-1000 is smaller, and while that will give away some IQ to the Nex-6 and a Sony 18-200, the 1-inch sensor on the FZ-1000 is still gonna take some very nice photos.

I write this post partly as a continued protest and disappointment at the limited availability of affordable/good e-mount lenses, but also as a practical matter of spending money wisely.

Thanks...

wsalopek's gear list:wsalopek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow