ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247Gear list
Like?
Interesting video: Tony & Chelsea Northrup switching to D810
4 months ago

YouTube link here

They've been shooting with 5D Mark III cameras and are switching to D810 cameras. They shared some interesting tidbits and really highlighted some of the differences within the cameras. They said operationally, the two weren't overly different.

They're obviously not the most subscribed-to photography channel out there, but they have a decent number of subscribers (over 168,000 vs say B&H with almost 250,000 and vs Digital Rev with over 1,000,000 also vs Scott Kelby who only has a little over 11,000) but that's a LOT of subscribers. I believe they also have the highest rated photography book on Amazon including a buying guide book which they update electronically (and will no doubt highlight the D810).

I'm not saying it's good or bad or indifferent that they switched - again, I just thought the video was interesting and they really highlighted some strengths of the D810. The face detection metering was actually pretty cool. I didn't know about that.

Thoughts on the video?

EDIT: in the video, they don't explicitly state they're switching, but in the comments Tony does say it...

Yeah, we're switching. I should have given a more clear answer in the video, but that's what the "Which camera will you pick up for landscapes, portraits, etc." was. We'll probably keep the Canons around for a bit, but we both are going to be reaching for the Nikon.

EDIT 2: In another comment, he said this in regards to the question "are you switching?"...

Yeah, totally. I'm sure we'll keep the Canons around until we get some more specialized Nikon lenses, but neither of us want to pick up a Canon after using the D810.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
1-4New
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow