Started Aug 5, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Cleaning sensor on D7100
Aug 5, 2014

This is a follow up to the thread I started at

I've tried cleaning my image sensor with a rocket blower. I put a newly charged battery in, selected mirror lockup, held the camera upside down then pressed the shutter to bring the mirror up and repeatedly blew air from a rocket blower at the sensor. I've done this 4 times now and can see an improvement. The pictures below are f22 converted raws in capture nx with the starting situation and where I am now. There are still 2 stubborn spots; one nasty one bottom left and one harder to see top right. I count at least 11 on the starting image so it is an improvement.

I go on holiday this Saturday. Is it worth persisting with the rocket blower. I've never done a wet clean, I've no idea what product to use and I doubt I can get it before Saturday. I'm also rather nervous about wet cleaning just before I go on holiday (and in general anyway).

I mostly take natural history photos and use a 500mm lens for this. Obviously I don't go to a reserve with that lens on and sometimes I might take pictures of dragonflies etc and switch to a 300mm and sometimes I might take the odd landscape. So in a single trip to a local reserve I might change lens 2 or 3 times. I go out a couple of times a week. I mostly change lens in a hide but occasionally I might need to do it outside. What advice does anyone have for reducing the problems of getting this sort of contamination on my sensor.

Your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated.

starting situation

where I am now

mjevans's gear list:mjevans's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow