RX100: LCD's Internal De-lamination; Spots on Sensor Second Time.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,933Gear list
Like?
RX100: LCD's Internal De-lamination; Spots on Sensor Second Time.
4 months ago

You all know I love my rx100, not bashing Sony, but, passing my experiences on:

others have shown extreme versions of lcd internal de-lamination, I have experienced it twice recently.

view original to see it better, this is my original rx100 from 8/12

my new m3, lcd got a few minor surface scratches in 3 days, (more scratches than my rx100 has with 2 years of very active use).

new m3, developed some internal de-lamination within a week, from the corner into the image framing area. Not used in high humidity, or any stressful condition at all. I don't know if they changed suppliers or tech specs, I returned it.

my original rx100, lcd was ok until it was just returned from Sony repair.

History: It developed spots on sensor after 11 months. I sent it in, they did not clean it, they replaced the complete lens/sensor assembly, no charge, on Sony original warranty.

that replacement lens/sensor assembly developed spots, just one month prior to my 2 year accidental handling warranty expires in 8/6/14.

The warranty, even though sold by Sony, is administered by another company, Federal Warranty Service, Atlanta, GA. They agreed to have it fixed, sent me a free shipping label, in to Sony, who again did not clean it, but replaced the lens/sensor assembly. They billed Federal Warranty $169. Anyone, out of warranty, with spots on sensor, probably will face similar charges, not a cleaning.

Opening the box, I saw my LCD looked like the photo above. It had no de-lamination when I sent it in, and the edges of the glass and frame seem roughed up, also not like that when sent in.

Federal has authorized repair of the lcd, I am awaiting the shipping label, and it will be fixed just inside the expiration of the 2 year warranty. After that, I am on my own.

As Sony repair is located in Laredo, TX, I GUESS, it could have been in a HOT and HUMID truck, container, or warehouse, (like the high humidity example from the Philippines some of you may remember). However, I am quite puzzled by the roughness on the edge of the glass and opening frame around the lcd.

It is my original serial number, so they did not send me an exchange which they have the right to do, (and may do this time, who knows?).

You lose your magfilter metal ring when they replace the lens, so, peel it off if you send it in, although, how to re-attach it? (I wrote to mogopod asking for a replacement ring, no response in 2 weeks).

btw, Original repair was only 5 days, on a holiday weekend, I was impressed, the 2nd repair was 15 days, not so impressive, and this pending 3rd repair is the 4th day since they said they would send me a shipping label, unreceived, called this am, they will get it to me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow