Quick, help me decide... EOS-M, NEX-6, or other?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Team Yeti
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
Quick, help me decide... EOS-M, NEX-6, or other?
4 months ago

After selling off my gear over the last few years, I'm down to a Fuji X10. I'd like to return to a larger sensor cam for more DOF control and low-light performance, and stumbled across the EOS-M. I'm not invested in any lenses, so I have a clean slate to start with.

Looking for a camera that will be good for travel / vacation, landscapes, static scenes, people pics, and of course the obligatory random doc pics. Given the choice, I prefer shooting with primes over zoom lenses, especially 35mm & 50mm FOV (equivalent). Plus, I'm a JPG shooter, don't really enjoy much PP.

The EOS-M seems to tick a lot of boxes: Small, light, big sensor, great prime lens, hot shoe, plenty of settings & options. One thing holding me back is battery life -- is it really that bad? Are we talking 100 shots on one battery, or 300-400? I can easily do without continuous focus (nice to see EOS-M can disable this, not like the NEX pre-focusing), and I'm an AF center-point and MF, shoot-and-recompose guy. Hopefully that would stretch the battery life a bit. Speaking of which, how is the MF, usable or frustrating?

Also considering the NEX-6 since it's on sale, but that means a ho-hum kit lens. Short of a Sigma 19mm or 30mm, primes are very expensive in the NEX system. Another thought was going back to a dSLR for prime availability, but I'm not exactly in love with that idea.

And I noticed the EOS-M 22mm kit is shown as being compatible with the RS-60E3 wired shutter release. I've got one in a drawer and would love to put it to use. Anyone have success?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/remote-switch-rs-60e3

I see Amazon is running the EOS-M 22mm kit for $299, while B&H has it for $349. Those are screaming deals!

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.

Team Yeti's gear list:Team Yeti's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow