Street Photography - Clichés only?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Re: See sense. See the elephant in this room!
In reply to Doss, 1 month ago

Doss wrote:

xtoph wrote:

not only is your first assertion not true, you just contradicted yourself in the above post. (which makes you seem like a troll, i.e. someone merely interested in starting an argument for the sake of arguing.)

the objective fact is that very few photos on this forum show bw pictures of homeless people in the street. for a simple cross section, check out the 100+ editions of spx , featuring photos by scores of street photographers. let me know how many other shots you have to go through before you get to one of those 'most of' shots of a homeless person in bw. and if you do eventually manage to find one, i'll wager that either the poster was (hopefully gently) nudged in a different direction, or that the shot is worthy on its own merits.

but now, in your post above, you complain instead about 'one photo after another' of people doing nothing interesting, looking at their phones, etc. fine, but obviously then you know perfectly well that 'most of' the photos you see are not of homeless people.

OK, - as you say this does sound a little contradictory. But I don't think your argument should distract from the very large elephant in this room... Which is the bit about "one photo after another of people doing nothing interesting".

Here's why - This forum will end up marginalizing itself (the last thing Street Photography should be doing as it is, after all, one of the most all-encompassing genres of photography) in presenting this bland staple diet. "No rare steaks or flamboyant deserts here please" is the underlying message to anyone looking to 'join' a forum and show their work. It is creating stagnation in every sense of the word.

I don't understand why you make such a statement. This forum is open for all to submit their own flavor of SP. And they do. If you visit on a regular basis, you'll see many different styles and interpretations being posted.

Let's forget the private club dress code and embrace beyond the mundane. Open to fair comment, critique - and encourage self-critique so those who are posting boring lifeless shots can learn to master Street Photography for what it is meant to be about - A sense of time, place and emotion.

Here... it seems that YOU are trying to define and limit what can be allowed as street photography. It's been discussed many times, and the conclusion is always the same. SP by it's nature encompasses a huge variety of scenarios. Almost impossible to define. You have to accept that what you may find boring and lifeless could be very interesting for someone else. We can all be very different. It doesn't mean one of us is wrong.

Don't think I'm being too down on this forum. There is some really good work here. There are some really good photographers - One of the best, imho, even wrote earlier that they welcome "a discussion about how to avoid clichés and the beaten-to-death path in street photography" - and that, I have to agree with 110%. And by being honest, exercising freedom to judge people's images & speak freely without retribution then we can all help one another improve in our aims to produce enticing, well-crafted photos.

The very best way for you to influence the forum, is by contributing some excellent SP of your own. Others will see it and they'll get ideas and inspiration. But if all you contribute is dark negativity and complaining about the poor results of others... I'm afraid you'll be left behind and forgotten very quickly.

feel free to look through my gallery of photos here. the vast majority are in color; i think it's safe to say that the majority show people doing something. so what, exactly, is it that you want to see that you don't see there? and if you can describe what that is, why don't you go shoot it and show us instead?

otherwise your thread amounts to nothing but a whiney red herring.

which reminds me, it is time for a late lunch.

Nothing too bland I hope Bon appetite!

-- hide signature --
 TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IMHONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow