Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MJW1
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
f/? and be there
2 months ago

I guess everyone is familiar with the old phrase 'f/8 and be there', generally attributed to the photojournalist and street photographer Weegee (Arthur Fellig). As I understand it, the idea is that f/8 gives you a good combination of depth of field to give you a good chance that spontaneous or quick shots will be in focus, together with reasonable shutter speeds and maximum lens sharpness. Being there is about, well, being there.

Weegee worked in the 1930s and 1940s and seems to have mainly used a 4x5 Speed Graphic camera, but the approach of using f/8 and zone focus has been picked up by many later street photographers, typically using 35mm Leica rangefinders.

At the risk of starting an equivalence war (NOT my intention), should the basic principle be modified for those using APS-C cameras, m4/3 or even smaller sensors like the Nikon 1 or compacts?

If a street photographer with an OM-D EM-10 wants to replicate the approach, should it be a case of 'f/4 and be there'?

(forgive me if I got the maths wrong on this).

MJW1's gear list:MJW1's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +15 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow