Olympus ORF file: best processing method for print magazine?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
slee97
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Olympus ORF file: best processing method for print magazine?
2 months ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I hope this is the right place to post it in. I've been browsing the forums here and either I've missed the thread or I haven't found it, but I have a burning question regarding best practises for processing Olympus RAW file (ORF). From transferring to computer and then editing them in Photoshop (that's the only thing I use, it came preloaded with my laptop), to getting them ready to be sent to a print magazine. The magazine will do the printing of the images, after they laid it out in pages.

I'm relatively new to enthusiast-level photography (just upgraded to EPL-5 from P&S) and I'm ashamed to report that so far I've been converting (exporting?) ORF files to JPEG using OV3, and then opening them up in Photoshop to edit. Then I usually just save the image directly back. Yes, not very wise but then again I shoot for fun, so it doesn't matter to me. In Photoshop I usually just do minor tweaks like highlights & shadows, levels, curves, color balance and usually without layers. Oh, and I'd like to avoid editing with OV3, save from only converting them into JPEG. I don't think my laptop's specs can handle it, OV3 is sooo slow in it. Lightroom is probably out of the picture for me at this time.

Recently, though, I scored a small writing job for a travel magazine. Hence my question above: What is the best practice for preparing ORF files in their best quality, destined to be opened and used in Adobe InDesign program? The purpose is to eventually print the photo in a commercial printer. I would like to make sure that I give them the best possible image quality and was hoping if anyone can enlighten me. Thank you in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow