Fuji future sensor technology?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,940Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe Canon could... but will they?
In reply to Caerolle, 1 month ago

Awesome post and absolutely answered my question. As usual (technologist that I am), I had assumed some sort of a feature or technology issue rather the larger issue of control, UI... i.e. the package as a whole.  Interestingly, my wife acquired an Oly E-M10 right around the same time I moved (mostly) from Canon to Fuji. She's absolutely delighted with the camera and very happy to be rid of the NEX-7 it replaced (which we both hated due to its terribly designed control system and UI).  I like the Oly as well, but agree about the menus, and the Fuji is better suited to my own needs.

As always, an interesting and educational dialog. Thanks much for lending your perspective.

Caerolle wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

The 70D sensor is a nice improvement over their previous technology. I think it still falls short of what's needed for future products, and in terms of DR and high ISO noise, and it's been superseded to some degree by Sony and others. IMHO, as good as it is, the 70D still can't match my Fuji in terms of recovering detail from shadows, high ISO noise management, and DR. YMMV. I believe they need to bring more to the party in their next gen cameras, regardless of form factor.

I also think that there's a whole lot more to being competitive in this space than simply tacking an EVF and decent sensor onto their existing M body. Getting the controls, UI, and the rest of the package right will require a lot of engineering and design. Canon has the chops to do that, but I'm not so sure they will, again because of the risk to their DSLR business.

Again, I am not saying that what I described would be best in class, by far. Or even competitive with other mirrorless cameras. Only that it wouldn't take much to vastly improve the M system, and Canon has things already on hand they could use. But as you mentioned earlier, I think they are intentionally crippling their mirrorless system. Plus, I would guess, given the price of the really sub-standard M system when it was released, they would not be at all competitive on price. If you compare specs/tech, Canon is really *never* competitive on price, at least at the levels I am familiar with (I know almost nothing about the 1D system). The only reason I have a Canon 6D instead of a D600 is that I really love the control system of the Canon, and really hate Nikon control systems in general, and the D600 in particular (plus, I don't much like Nikon as a company, either).

Wow, that's a pretty pessimistic view. It feels to me as if mirrorless technology is advancing at near light speed these days. In 1-2 years, EVFs went from nearly useless (strictly IMHO) to something that comes awfully close to an OVF in visible quality and supersedes it in terms of usability, available shooting information, exposure sim, etc. etc. So, I'd be really curious as to your thoughts on what would need to be improved to make a mirrorless system acceptable as a DSLR replacement? I'm guessing one thing would be AF speed coupled with accurate tracking. The X-T1 is definitely not where DSLRs like the 70D are today, though much closer than even a year ago. Do you think it will take 3-5 years for mirrorless cameras to be good enough to replace DSLRs for BIF, sports, etc.? Where else do they fall short?

Lol, nooooo, NOT AF speed or tracking. I never shooting action, and never anything even moving. I do shoot pets a lot, but only when they are still (which can be a challenge). I have absolutely no interest in sports or BIF or any of that.

Really, it isn't about technical shortcomings for me. I was not speaking of the state of mirrorless in general, either, or of how mirrorless can replace or supplant dSLRs in general. I am thinking solely in terms of my own needs. For me, I want fast, high-quality primes, good IQ, and a modern control system. That currently does not exist in mirrorless.

Fuji is close in lenses, only missing a couple. However, the control system will likely never be there, for ideological reasons, not technical ones. Sony will never be there for lenses or bodies, both for ideological reasons. That really only leaves Canon, and as we have discussed, they will likely not be be there for at least 5 years, as much for ideological reasons as for technical ones, though there are technical ones in the short term.

(I had a far, far longer answer typed giving more detail in the reasons above, but decided it was too long. If you are for some reason interested, let me know and I will post it, but really I think you were more thinking I meant some sort of over-arching, state-of-the-technology reasons, rather than such mundane ones as I have. )

The thing is, there is one mirrorless system I really like a lot, the Olympus OM-D. I would probably use that system, but the m4/3 sensor is just too small to get the DOF control I want (IQ is good enough, if not exceptional). Other than that, the system is right there. If Olympus were to make an APS-C system, with the kind of fast primes they have in m4/3, and across the same kind of equivalence ranges, I would trade my Canon system in an instant. I even put my big flash on the little E-M10, and it felt pretty good. If the bodies were a little bigger, like they would need to be, they would be about right for me. If they fixed their horrid menu system, which is complicated, poorly organized, and obscure for no good reason that I can tell, it would be perfect, for me.

Carol

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow