E-M10 Vacillation....(metering, menu, lens concerns)....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HikerMark
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
E-M10 Vacillation....(metering, menu, lens concerns)....
4 months ago

Most of my photography revolves around hiking/camping when I frequently take shots on a tripod, or vacationing when I don't care to carry much.  I did buy a macro lens, and wide angle lens to use with my wife's T2i.  I may use the wide angle for something specific, but it is a bit of weight.

I primarily use the Canon G1X, and despite it's shortcomings, it has been great for me.  I love being able to carry it on my pack's shoulder strap, the live view is excellent, and I find the controls very easy.  The slow focusing are not an issue when setting up on a tripod.

That being said, I truly miss close-up photography when hiking (I do have the 250D filter).  The G1X mark II is out with improved close up capabilities.  I have been thinking of getting it.....but I wonder if I miss close up shots, why not get a camera that can support a real macro lens (the 60mm)

I would also likely get the 9-18mm wide angle lens.  I'd still be able to carry the E-M10 accessibly in the case I currently use, and the two extra lenses are quite small (compared to my canon gear).

My big hang-up is the metering capabilities.  I frequently set up on a tripod, and take two exposure to merge (not hdr - I overlay and mask).   I can link a spot meter to the focal point.  Typically I will focus and expose for the foreground, and then refocus and re-expose for the background.

I have yet to find a mirror-less camera that can do this.  It has been suggested that I simply use the live view.  Admittedly when exposing, I use a combination of the meter, the live view, and the histogram.    However, with the Olympus, I would not only not be able to move the meter, it will also always be center of frame.  Any thoughts on losing some metering capability?

I like the Canon controls and menu system.  E-M10 seems controls seem great, not sure about the menu system (wish I could get my hands on one).  Thoughts on this?

Also, if I am getting it primarily for macro shots - how is the macro lens?  Generally I do macro shots hand held.

I'd be open to consider other cameras.  I was thinking the A6000 for a long time.  I like the large sensor and image quality, but preferred the Olympus lens selection and I couldn't find a cable release for the Sony.

Thanks,
Mark

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow