Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC MACRO "C" OS or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC, which is best for my situation?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cingen
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC MACRO "C" OS or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC, which is best for my situation?
2 months ago

Hey all!

First of all, my situation.

I am a fairly new photographer who is growing less and less satisfied with the quality provided by my 18-140 lens.

I am doing research towards a 3 lens set I can easily take with me when backpacking, so far I got the wide angle (Tokina 11 16) and tele (nikkor 70 300) decided on. This leaves me with only the midrange zoom lens left.

The 2 zooms I am currently considering (which will also be the first lens of the final "trio" I aim for that I'll buy) are the Sigma 17-70 2.8 and Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.

This lens, together with a Tokina 11-16 and Nikkor 70-300. will be used mainly when going out backpacking. The pictures I plan on taking are mainly nature and landscapes, with some portraits of my travel partners thrown in.

The obvious differences between the 2 Sigmas are the aperture and the focal lenght, but due to me not having much experience with faster lenses it is sort of hard for me to judge if I will miss the constant 2.8 aperture.

Now my questions are the following:

1. Which of the 2 lenses delivers the best image quality in the common focal ranges?
  2. If I went for the 17-50 I would have a gap in between 50 and 70 mm with the lens kit I got in mind, could this be a problem or is it easily circumvented?
  3. Which of these two lenses would you choose keeping in mind my situation, and why?

I did alot of research, and most people seem to agree that it's down to the choice between focal lenght or aperture. I have no idea however which of the two would be most beneficial in my situation.

I also read one report about the 17-70 being noticeable sharper on the Nikon D7100, which is the same camera I own, but I also read alot of reports that the 17-50 delivers the best image quality of the two lenses so this is sort of inconclusive.

So in short, what advice do you have for me regarding my lens choice?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow