Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whatbrown
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
FZ200 in Africa
4 months ago

Hello all, I just got back from a vacation to South Africa and Zimbabwe. Part of that vacation was spent on safari in the greater Kruger National Park. It was an unbelievable experience and, I was very fortunate to see the variety and quantity of animals that I did. I was with a very knowledgeable tracker and guide.

I bought an FZ200 a few months ago knowing that I would be taking this trip. It ended up being the perfect camera for me. I am very much an amateur photographer, so please keep that in mind when viewing the pics. Everything that I have learned about the camera and photography in general has come from browsing this website, and specifically, the Panasonic forum in the last few months. So, thank you everybody! I hope that I can continue to improve my skills.

All of these photos are straight out of the camera JPEGs. I used mainly the P setting, but used a bit of the IA setting and the sunset scene setting as well. I didn't mess with the aperture or shutter speed too much. I let the camera do its thing. ISO was limited to 800 and was on auto. I used the vivid setting and for the most part, was using -.66 EV.

The camera was perfect for me because it is light, fast, has a good amount of zoom (especially with ires), and is simple to operate. I didn't want to fiddle with lenses or settings too much, and the FZ200 provided great (to me) shots with minimal fuss. Safaris are tough because the lighting (low light, facing the sun, shaded, etc), lots of dust (this time of year), bouncing up and down in the vehicle, moving subjects, things obstructing the view (someone's arm, bush, branch, etc), and the fact that animals are very unpredictable. All things considered, I am very pleased with the photos I was able to get with the FZ200.

I hope this isn’t too many photos to post, and that you enjoy them. I posted a few of the Victoria Falls area and Cape Town vicinity before the safari ones. It seems to me that the right side of the photos are being cropped. Hopefully that won't be the case when this posts. In any event, as always, full screen is probably best. Thank you so much for looking!Without further ado…

Victoria Falls. So much water even though this is nowhere near peak season for flow.

Nothing too exciting

What the heck is in his mouth?

Water Lily

African penguins!

These guys will do anything for human food.

Cape of Good Hope

Nothing to mess with

Looks docile, but can be quite agreesive

Forgot the name

So majestic. Not

Vultures in a cool tree

Impala Lily

Big guy

Wasn't thrilled about me being close

The sunsets were consistently unbelievable

Not a good spot to swim

Nice eyelashes

After a meal

Lilac- Breasted Roller

Adorable Hyena cub

I told you

The King

Beautiful Leopard

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow