Olympus 12mm f/2 or Panasonic 15mm f/1.7?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zucchiniboy
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Olympus 12mm f/2 or Panasonic 15mm f/1.7?
1 month ago

I know this is pretty subjective, but I thought I'd throw it out here anyways. I currently have a three-prime setup of the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, Pana-Leica 25mm f/1.4, and Olympus 45mm f/1.8. I'm considering swapping out the 14mm for either the 12mm or the new 15mm. I like the 14mm, except that it is sometimes not fast enough for lower light situations or DOF isolation. I definitely want faster aperture, but the thing I'm stuck on is whether wider is more important or more DOF control. I shoot primarily people and urban shots, and there are merits to having either wide or faster available.

When I looked at my old APS-C DSLR days, I noticed I camped out almost all the time at the 17mm end of my 17-35 (second was 35mm), which makes me think I'd want wider. But I think a 15mm with f/1.7 would also give me a lot of creative possibilities with semi-wide, shallow DOF environmental portraits.

All that said, what do you guys think?

zucchiniboy's gear list:zucchiniboy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow