ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NFG
NFG
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Sanity Check: D800 + 24-70 F2.8 = frequent back focus
1 month ago

The problem: Frequent focus on the background instead of the subject when using a brand new D800E with the Nikon 24-70 F2.8 lens. Doesn't happen with the primes in the studio, but with the 24-70 at events it's happening at least half the time.

The facts: Brand new camera, old lens. Shot two events recently, both featuring aerial performers on lyra and silks high in the air, one indoor in a dark room with blue lights, one outdoor in mid-day sun and clear skies. AF-S, and one was shot focus/recompose, the other was shot strictly moving the focus points and not the camera. I use the shutter to focus then shoot, always focus priority so it won't fire unless it thinks it's locked the focus on something.

And that something is the background far too often. My recently sold D700 did not have this problem, not once.

I need a sanity check before I take it back to the shop or Nikon.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is this a problem I can fix? What should I check?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

ANSWER:
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow