Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Opfor
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
12-40 vs 45 question
5 months ago

I come to this forum fairly often and I feel like I have seen this addressed before, but I did a search and nothing came quickly to hand so I thought I would ask anyway. I apologize if this is a re-post. Anyway, I have an EM-10 that I am still learning to use after moving over from a Nikon D5100. I have the 12-40mm lens, which is awesome. What I am wondering is…having that lens, is it worth it to get the 45mm? I am looking to do portraits of my twin toddlers. Do any of you that have both these lenses have an opinion about this? The 12-40 is awesome…I feel like the the 45 would be a step up as a pure portrait lens, but by how much? Do you gain enough to make it feel like it’s worth owning both lenses, or are they pretty comparable? Is the 45mm so close to the 12-40mm at the long end that I would be better off just saving for longer and getting the 75mm? I know I will gain a stop with the 45mm, but in all honesty I have never had a 1.8 lens so I am not sure how different that will than my 2.8 for outdoor portraits in good light. Thank you for any input.

Opfor's gear list:Opfor's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow