Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mjevans
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Two recent problems with my D7100 and various lens
2 months ago

I bought a D7100 (upgrade from D3100) at the start of this year and am very happy with it. However recently I've experienced 2 problems and I'm not experienced enough to know a) what is causing them and b) whether there is an easy remedy.

The most worrying problem is that sometimes my camera refuses to auto focus. I switched to back focus at least 5 months ago and much prefer it. Then a few months ago I bought a AF-S Nikkor 16-85mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED and had problems with it (see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3671715). The lens was a very tight fit, the seal was damaged and initially it refused to autofocus. It was replaced and I'm liking it but every since I'm occasionally having a problem when I switch lenses the camera won't auto focus. If I remove the lens and refit it mostly the problem goes away but occasionally I have to do this a few times. It is not just the 16-85 but also a 55-300mm I've owned for years and never had a problem with.

Any advice?

The second issue is splodges in some photos. The strange thing is that they move even across shots taken within seconds of each other. I took 3 shots within a few seconds of BIF and 1 had no splodges, 1 had a couple and the last one had 5 or 6. Unfortunately I deleted the one in the middle but I've included the other 2 below. The lens in question seems to be clean to me and I cannot understand how 2 photos taken within seconds could have dust (or whatever) on one and not the other. These are mostly unedited conversions from the raw file in capture NX. Any ideas?

You'll see a number of round marks on this photo

and a photos taken within a second with no marks

mjevans's gear list:mjevans's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow