Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
70d IF
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
My 70d annoyances
4 months ago

I have been using my new Canon 70d + EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 USM for a month now, and while I am very happy with it, I would like to share a few annoyances.

Please comment, and if there are solutions, I would be very glad to know ! Answers like "RTFM" are accepted, IF you give the page number

Here we go:

- There is no automatic activation of top screen backlight, based on ambient light
- There is no one click method to check focus (see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54144589or http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53855106 )
- If I half press the shutter button, I don't know any more if the ISO setting displayed is from Auto or Manual ISO.
- The automatic AF point selection is totally unpredicable - useless
- On the LCD, I can't have a full screen review of a picture with speed, aperture and ISO ; only speed and aperture (ISO is available in a different screen, where the picture is not displayed in full screen)
- There is no way to know the focal length used for a picture
- There is no "one click method" to get back to a clean review of a picture (no information displayed, no zoom)
- Video with my Canon EF-S 17-55 USM is unusable because of the noise produced by the autofocus AND aperture changes ; in addition, the stablizer produces jumps during panning, as if there were dropped frames
- You need to format your card from the camera, otherwise you will get dropped frame in the video (it took me some time to figure this out!)
- Micro Focus Adjustments do not work in automatic modes. E.g. if you plan to switch to green mode to give your camera to an unexperienced friend, be prepared to fuzzy pictures (unless your camera/lens combo is fine without MFA)
- The "Touch to shoot" option in liveview is not memorized in the Custom mode. When you switch to Custom mode, it will use the latest setting instead.
- The ISO button is difficult to reach while looking into the viewfinder (however my hit rate increases over time !)
- The AF button (I love back button focusing) is too high on the camera body or my right thumb is too small
- In a dark environment, I struggle to find the "play" button, I often press "Q" or even "Liveview" instead
- There is no possibility to use the camera with your right hand only. At one point, you will always find yourself needing your left hand to touch the screen or press the "Info" or "Menu" button.

70d IF's gear list:70d IF's gear list
Pentax K100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
70d IF's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow