ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,418Gear list
Like?
Don't be "That Guy"...
4 months ago

I finally ran into “That Guy”…

Over the weekend I took a 600 mile round trip drive to a location I wanted to photograph during the day and night. While waiting to take a shot of the sun setting between two mountain peaks in the distance I was approached by “That Guy”…. He commented on the vista before us and then began to show me all the features of his new Sony. He had to demonstrate everything.. the super zoom, the pano, the ISO settings… I mean everything…. Including how he got it on sale. You would have thought he was trying to sell the camera to me. I was polite and courteous through all of this but I wasn't there for a demo of someone else's camera features.

After about ten minutes of this I excused myself and wandered to a different location about 50 yards away. I had just driven 300 miles to get to this location and just wanted a bit of peace and quiet while I waited for the light to be right. I was just beginning to set up my tripod and pull a lens out of my backpack when I noticed “That Guy” was headed my way again. This time he had his ipad with him and began to tell me about this neat ap that allowed him to do a time-lapse with the ipad. Not the iPad controlling his camera.... the iPad doing a time-lapse. Really? He also had yet another camera with him which he wanted to “share” info about its capabilities.

OK, enough is enough. I let him set up the ipad for his time-lapse and then excused myself and moved back to my original location. This time he did not follow. I was not trying to be rude but I wanted to concentrate on my photography rather than the features and capabilities of his gear. I needed to concentrate and it was obvious that would be impossible while in close proximity with "That Guy".

I understand that people become excited about their gear but there is such a thing as over-sharing and blatant intrusion on the space of another photographer. Don’t be “That Guy”.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow