Anyone for Sunday Scapes? (2014 08 03)

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
Brent Lossing
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,777
Like?
Re: Brent: Two more images to show scale
In reply to 19andrew47, 4 months ago

Andrew:

What a nice write-up - thanks a lot.  We have a much smaller falls close to here that drops about 65 feet.  The falls themselves freeze up - it sounds like music when the water is running through the frozen tubes and you can walk behind the falls.  It is one of my favorite yearly photo hikes.  Really like the documentary shots to give it context.

Thanks for the effort!

brent

The ice build up is relatively close to the falls, but not right at the water drop. There is much more at the American falls than at the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side. At the bottom of the American Falls there is a large build up of rock that has fallen off the face of the falls over many years. The mist freezes on the rocks when it is cold enough and the ice build up starts. The uninterupted cold spell of the past winter caused the large build up visible in this image. It has been many years since this has occurred to this extent.

I have included two more images here to give you an idea of the scale. The Falls drop is 165 ft. The vertical image includes Bridal Veil Falls and to its left, the American Falls. You can see the space between the ice and the face of the falls there. The horizontal view shows both the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. I did not crop the horizontal image so that you would get a better idea of scale.

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

12 - 50 mm

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow