Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,780Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide aperture - Pictures out of focus
In reply to Jizzy, 1 month ago

Jizzy wrote:

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

From the photo data, I would say that shooting at f/1.8 is overkill. A bright day, a model who is not moving much if at all, and ISO 100 says that you could reduce the aperture size to increase depth of field and get a much better result.

If you were shooting in low light, a larger aperture would make a bit more sense, but still is not optimal for a subject that is not all in the same focus plane. Try shooting the same subject at different apertures to see the difference.

You don't mention what mode you are shooting in - A, S, M, etc. - so it is not possible to know just how you (or the camera) came up with the combination used. But the aperture has definitely caused a DOF problem!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

Thanks everybody!

I shot in A mode with f/1.8 and iso 100. I was just basically playing around with the lens (my first prime). I didn't recompose to avoid focus shift, and I use back button focus.

Back button focus with AIServo, or One Shot?

I am a beginner, maybe it was "wrong" to shoot at f/1.8 for a scene like that, but I was just testing around and I have more out-of-focus photos like that...

Keep in mind the actual AF point is larger than what is shown in the viewfinder. The camera looks like it focused on your models bangs. That and a little front focusing would explain it.

If you microfocus adjust I would suggest using the DotTune method on a vertical target about the same distance as your model was in the photo.

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.
All images are used for educational purposes.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow