Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ronguo
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Best adapter for Contax G lenses
In reply to walnorth, 4 months ago

walnorth wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote

I was thinking of getting the 45mm Contax g next. It got some good posts. Not sure about the 21 or 28mm. Rear clearance of the last lens element may be an issue. Are they worth it? The 21 is quite expensive.

Greg.

I loved the Contax G. When I moved to digital, I bought Canon DSLRs and thought they were plasticy and the lenses lacked the "pop" of the Zeiss Contax lenses. When I bought a Nex 7, I was excited that my Contax lenses could be used again.

The 45 mm planar is possibly the best lens I've used in my 50 years as a photographer. Buy it. If the rumors of the full frame Nex are true, the price will go through the roof.

The problem is that the adapters are dogmeat. Contax G lenses are usable, but the focusing is rough. I hope the DEO adapter will work. I will post a review when I get one.

I'm an old guy. I appreciate OSS. I have the SEL 1018, SEL18200, and SEL 50, and think very highly of them all, but the image quality of the Contax G Zeiss lenses haunts me.

(yes, I sold my Leica glass without looking back. Buy the Contax 45, if only as an investment.)

Don

I have the Sony A7R and Contax G lenses. Agree, the Contax G lenses are fabulous. But for digital, not all G lenses can be used with ease. Two primary issues arise.

One is the adapter. I have the Shogun, and it's good, but not excellent. It is exactly same as metabones, and has the "notch" feeling. This increases the time and effort for critical focusing. Were an adapter made with tighter tolerances, the ease and enjoyment of manual focus would be far greater.

Second is the lens design and proximity to the film plane, which affects colour photography but not black/white. The G28 Biogon is extremely close and has high ray angles: this results in the dreaded magenta shift, and cannot be avoided. The G90 Sonnar is excellent, but the Sonnar design has inherent CA flaws that can be induced for the A7R, and can also produce the magenta shift (rarely, but it does occur). The G35 Planar is a tad soft, but still better than the majority of legacy lenses. The supreme lens is the G45 Planar: this has no faults at all when used with the A7R and creates stunning images. The G45 is one of the rare lenses that meets or exceeds the resolving power of the 36mp sensor. After the G45 Planar and the G90 Sonnar comes the Distagon design: the Distagon 28 and 35 are excellent for colour digital. For b&w photos, all G lenses will give excellent results.

True, too, prices for the G45 and G90 have nearly tripled over the past year and seem to be going higher each month as these lenses become scarce. True, too, the IQ of the new Zeiss lenses are stellar, but the G45 and G90 have a certain IQ that no other lenses provide. The differences are very difficult to describe, but they are easily seen in sxs comparisons.

If I ever encounter a better adapter, I shall post a review here.  Thanks for reading.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow