Does anyone use an ExpoDisc? If so, how good is it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkWW
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Does anyone use an ExpoDisc? If so, how good is it?
2 months ago

I'm a big fan of gray cards for setting not just white balance but exposure as well (one day I'll bother to learn ETTR, but all my old film habits carry over to digital).

Having lost my Lastolite 12" gray card on a shoot recently, I looked at some other white balancing & exposure options & the Expodisc 2.0 popped up. I've known about this method for setting white balance for a while but I see now that the 2.0 version is also intended to be used for exposure, providing an 18% neutral light transmission.

So... My question is, does anyone use it that way? I'm skeptical of the literature "point it back at your shooting position & set your exposure and white balance" - not point it at the light source? If I'm in a dark tunnel & shooting across the tunnel is getting a meter reading from across the tunnel correct, or should I point it at the tunnel entrance (light source) the way I would with a gray card? Is the surface ridged & bumped enough to capture light from the side?

Any ExpoDisc 2.0 users who would care to shed some light on your method for setting exposure, I'd welcome hearing from you. If I do get one, I don't imagine that it would replace the way I use a gray card, but it could supplement it & provide some alternate exposure & white balance options to me.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow