Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
caterpillar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,578
Like?
Advice needed: RX-10 or FZ-1000
1 month ago

Hello. I have done due research on both cameras and both have their pluses and minuses. On one hand, I like the RX-10 for the build, a bit smaller than the fz-1000,  weather sealing, and the constant f2.8. Though it does not reach up to 400mm, with it's modified/lossless zoom, 300mm is good enough for me if I need to extend my reach in a pinch. The FZ-1000 has a faster 4k, longer zoom range (400mm and close to 600mm when in 4k video), and can basically go for a long stretch with jpeg in continuous shooting.

I tend to be outdoors a lot and do a lot of biking, hence, I like the RX-10 a bit. The weather sealing will help in whatever situation I am in. OTOH, I do like to shot some sports and action. The  extra reach and faster AF and more continuous shooting of the fz-1000 is tempting. And the fact in can go to around 595mm when in 4K, plus the ability to get 8mp stills at 30fps is most useful, not just in action shooting, but also if I have to do events shooting, eg. wedding, where there really is no need to shift to photo mode and break the video shot as one can get 8mp stills from the video!

There are obstacles in the process of getting either  one in our country. The FZ-1000 is not yet available and according to the official distributor of Panny, they expect to have it still by late Sept. That's still about 2 months, granting a bit of a delay. Price usually is about U$100 than the srp, so i expect this to be around U$1,000 to start with. If  I am lucky, they might just offer it at u$900 like elsewhere in the world, as a promo opening price. The good news in our country is because of competition, the USA price is usually the same here converted to our currency, unlike 4 or so years ago, where local prices is around U$150-250 more here vs USA prices.

One option I can go for is get a gray market version. Price wise, it should be the same. The drawback is if it has problems, I may wait weeks to have it repaired. Going gray is a risk though in most cases, these things don't go bad in my experience. AT worst, we can bring it to the official Panny service center, though, they will charge you for repairs with the product not protected by local warranty.

As for the RX-10, it's also hard to come by now. It seems, sales has been slow at the atrocious price of U$1,300. But in one store, I asked about  it, and they said, they can get me one for around U$1,050 equivalent. The best price in another store is U$931. I think it will still carry a 3-year warranty, though I have to ask again if their 3-year warranty applies to the RX-10.

So, my question is - what are your thoughts on the matter? Should I get the RX-10 or the FZ-1000?

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow