Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,776Gear list
Like?
Still impressed with the Sigma 18-35
4 months ago

I have to say, the more I use it and get to know the lens, the more I am impressed with what the Sigma 18-35 F/1.8 can do.

I will admit that I still need to take a little more time and fine tune the focusing using the USB dock, but what I have dialed in so far is working for most situations quite well. I highly recommend investing in the dock and taking a little time to tweak it. It seems its biggest out of the box weakness, as reviews have mentioned, is shooting at infinity versus closer shots requires a much different adjustment value. But that is fixable.

Meanwhile, here are some samples of what I have gotten so far:

I thought it wasn't bad for not being a macro lens. Look at the detail on the bee's head!

Not quite wide open, but close. Hazy, cloudy, humid day.

Focused on the trees in the horizon. Still some nice detail in the distance.

All are RAW images processed in LR 5.6. Images haven't been resized, only cropped. Click on them to view them at their original size.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:

Looking at the photos it looks like compression may have taken a light toll on the images versus what I am seeing in RAW.  So keeping that in mind, it should still give you a nice idea of what you can get from the lens.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow