Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
Controversial purchase - upgrade route
4 months ago

I'd love to have it all but budget rules here.

I have some old Nikon stuff from my 35mm days and a canon 270 flash for the G12 that I can repurpose.

My aim here is to start a usable kit

Locally, there are a few cheap options to get me back into SLR photography - Budget's going to rule all my purchases and upgrades at a rate of 1 every 2 years - including lens purchases are a fact here - but let me start on my options. All this is to complement my Canon G12.

Nikon D300 - for about $400 - I've got an old 50mm camera driven f/1.8 and a budget camera driven general purpose sigma. However the Nikon 18-200mm may be a future single upgrade as I've heard great things about this lens. s/h this lens will cost me $650 - the 80-200mm may be a heavier option but an unlikely purchase

Canon 5D + 50mm for $600 adding an 80mm f/1.8 in future - other lenses would have to wait much longer on this upgrade path.

Canon 450D or 350D for $100-200 plus a 50mm f/1.8 second hand and a 18-55 STM lens for $130 the future upgrade would be first a 70-200 f/4 for $800 and then a newer body like a 7D or 100D.

Canon 50D + 18-55STM $630 is a bit out of my budget already.

It's small budget stuff really - What I want out of photography is to do a bit better in low light than the G12, catch the kids tearing around and recording memories. I foresee 60% of these shots to be in the capabilities of a 50mm f/1.8 using natural available light - even if I have to crop a bit later.

I'm leaning towards the 350D with the savings going towards glass - even a 55-250 IS II. Most of these options look better to me than the 600D triple lens kit at $630.

The D300 though is also looking compelling...

Thoughts?

cberry's gear list:cberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow