FZ1000 photo shoot with speed lights. Lots of high shutters.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 photo shoot with speed lights. Lots of high shutters.
4 months ago

These are some favs from a shoot I did this last week. It was a lot of work but very fun. This was the only day they could do it and I had about 2.5 hours of constantly changing light with clouds and blue sky. There were lots of shadows and harsh light to deal with. There were 7 girls all wanting different looks that ranged from Hip Hop to Ballet. Even though I find the desert beautiful I just couldn't envision these girls on a brown dull back drop of desert dirt or sand. But I did shoot these in the High Desert.

So my goal was to provide either a matching environment for their looks, or one that would provide contrast to their colorful outfits. I also changed the editing looks from warm and bold with hip hop to cooler and softer for ballet.

Luckily it didn't take the girls too long to feel comfortable with me and the process. Working with trained dancers made directing them fairly easy. I had my wife and daughter who are usually my models holding lights and following me the hole time.

I used two Neewer TT850 flashes $104 each, with power controlled wirelessly from the Neewer FT-16 remote on the camera. One was pushing through a 22inch beauty dish and the other had a Gary Fong diffuser on it.

I only used Lightroom to edit. About 1/3rd of these I used the Jpeg file and 2/3rds I used the raw file. My reasoning for the Jpeg use was because on some wider shots or shots where the eyeballs were farther from the camera, the jpegs had much sharper eyes and hair than I could get from any settings using the raw in Lightroom. Even taking the time to brush each eye individually didn't look as nice as what the camera did on its own.

On the closer or tighter shots or even medium distance shots the sharpening, masking, and noise reduction made the eyes and hair look just as nice as the JPEG. But because I was mixing natural light and flash, I was able to get better skin tones from the .raws. I also used the gradient tool on the .raw files on a few to darken the sky and I was impressed by the amount of color I could pull back.

Please don't start a raw or jpeg debate on this thread. This is just my experience use it or not. I am sure if I had all the time in the world or some other skill in Lightroom, I could have gotten more from the .raw. But I don't have all the time in the world and on some of these, the JPEG render was nicer in my opinion.

I am open to feedback, but please realize when working under pressure, sometimes you make compromises or mistakes and you just live with what you got.

I don't do allot of paid work but when I do, this the type of stuff I really enjoy doing.

I have permission to share but prefer to keep these protected on my site. They are already public on several sites from the customers.

http://www.scottzinda.com/Performing-Arts/Performing-Arts-Favs-Locked-/

http://www.scottzinda.com

http://instagram.com/phazelag

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow