Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?
Need help! - 35mm portrait photography - RX1
4 months ago

I've finally gotten myself into a pickle. I've sold off all but my 35mm RX1. Go figure, this morning my wife informs me that she and her girlfriend are participating in a charity bar night where posters are made of various amateur bartenders and they then represent local businesses. One of the charity earning events are the amateur bartenders services are auctioned off to the local businesses to represent at the event, which includes many beverage booths at which they work. The bartenders then get their winning bid donated to their local charity of choice. This morning my (attractive) wife and her (attractive) girlfriend have asked me to take them to our marina this sunset to get a fantastic 2 person portrait of them to be on their poster , which includes their dossier and why they picked the charity they want to donate to. Besides wanting to win for charity there is some friendly/unfriendly competition to get the highest bid amongst the competing barmaid/housewives in this hoity-toity community.

With the beautiful marina backdrop and 2 beautiful women to photograph, there should be no pressure, right? While I've taken tens of thousands of photographs, I've not really done portraits, and now more constricted (or blessed?) with this awesome 35mm lens. My wife already informed me she wants more of a in situ type shot from farther away than like a traditional bust shot. Also I have no flash other than that on camera but the likely angle with their back to the water/boats will have the sunset in their face, so probably good lighting from that perspective.

I would appreciate any considerations, suggestions or recommendations from experienced photographers to help me for tonight. Samples to explain would also be helpful. I have about 6 hours before I head out and look forward to posting results later this week.

Edit: I have a full suite of post processing software, and with the RX1 can make up for some lighting shortfalls.  Not sure what a typical sized poster is, so not sure how much I may be able to crop, if necessary, to reduce facial distortion... But assume I can take it out to 50mm+ if necessary. This does not have to be museum  quality.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow