Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AZ Steve
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
D810: Mup with EFCS and interval timer
4 months ago

In another thread Rick Knepper noted that the D800 manual explicitly excludes Mup mode from interval timer use.  I noted in that thread that the D810 manual removes this exclusion.

It appears that the use of Mup with the interval timer introduces a short, non-user-programmable mirror-up settling time, around 0.6 seconds.

For example, if one sets a fairly fast shutter speed to simplify the arithmetic (I tried 1/200), and selects several frames per interval with the drive mode set to S, about three exposures are made per second.  If the drive mode is changed to Mup, one exposure is made per second.  In the latter case, the mirror definitely cycles between each exposure but is up more than it is down.

This goes to something Falk Lumo recently mentioned, his belief that mirror shock and shutter shock have different decay behavior (I do not express it well).  Perhaps the Nikon engineers feel that a brief settling time, much less than most of us would choose, is adequate.

And perhaps us geeks should investigate various short settling times.

Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow