What is the maximum angle of view for Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 on Nikon D300s?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aliirfan
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
What is the maximum angle of view for Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 on Nikon D300s?
4 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance for reading and replying to this post. I sincerely appreciate your time and knowledge. Please pardon me if this is a repeat question. I tried to browse for the answers but couldn't find it, hence, this lengthy post.

So without any further due here is what I am trying to figure out
Does a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 on a DX body such as Nikon D300s will give me a maximum angle of view greater than the maximum angle of view of an existing Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens?

Let me elaborate
According to the Tech Specs on Nikon product page for 14-24mm (http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-f%252F2.8G-ED.html), the maximum angle of view that I will get out of this lens on a DX body is 90 degrees. Which is great!

Now when I look at the Tech Specs for my existing 18-200mm (http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-200mm-f%252F3.5-5.6G-ED-VR-II.html), I see a maximum angle of view of 76 degrees, which is smaller than 90 degrees for 14-24mm at its maximum.

Please help me understand
Why is this the case? Shouldn't my 18-200mm give me a larger maximum angle of view than 14-24mm given the fact that the focal length of 14-24mm will be (14-24)*1.5 or 21-36 after the crop factor. In other words, shouldn't Nikon 14-24mm maximum angle of view smaller than 76 degrees?

I am definitely lacking some technical key here and appreciate if someone can help me out here. Is there a formula difference between FX & DX lenses etc.

Little Background, in case you are wondering what's driving me
I currently own Nikon D300s with 18-200 kit lens. I have a strong desire to buy a Full Frame Nikon Camera body in future. So for better or worse I have started purchasing FX lenses instead of putting anymore money on DX lenses. I now have two more FX lenses Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro and Nikon 24-70mm f2.8.

I am now ready to buy my another FX lens, either Nikon 14-24mm or Nikon 70-200mm. At the moment, I am seriously considering Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 but only if it gives me an immediate benefit in maximum angle of view over my existing 18-200mm. I understand that there are ultra wide angle lenses in DX format such as Nikon 10-24 and Nikon 12-24 f4 etc. However, my long term goal is to use a Full Frame camera body for my Ultra Wide Lenses and my D300s for Telephoto lenses to take advantage of crop factor.

If their is no immediate benefit in maximum angle of view, I will continue to shoot with my existing 18-200 for wide angle shots. I will hold of on 14-24mm for later time when I am closer to buying a Full Frame body and buy a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 for now.

Thanks,
Irfan

ANSWER:
Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow