Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide aperture - Pictures out of focus
In reply to Jizzy, 4 months ago

Jizzy wrote:

Hi,

Most of my pictures are out of focus when I shoot with a wide aperture with my 85mm 1.8 on a 70d.

I focused on the eye with single point AF.
Did I move too much? Or does the lens have front-/backfocus?

f1.8 1/2000 iso 100

thx for your help

From the photo data, I would say that shooting at f/1.8 is overkill.  A bright day, a model who is not moving much if at all, and ISO 100 says that you could reduce the aperture size to increase depth of field and get a much better result.

If you were shooting in low light, a larger aperture would make a bit more sense, but still is not optimal for a subject that is not all in the same focus plane.  Try shooting the same subject at different apertures to see the difference.

You don't mention what mode you are shooting in - A, S, M, etc. - so it is not possible to know just how you (or the camera) came up with the combination used.  But the aperture has definitely caused a DOF problem!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow