How does AF of 7d compare to 6d, 5d3, and 1Dx for sports? Midway? Almost 5d3? Locked

Started Aug 3, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,812Gear list
How does AF of 7d compare to 6d, 5d3, and 1Dx for sports? Midway? Almost 5d3?
Aug 3, 2014

(sorry if this has been asked before)

I'm considering purchase of a 7d. My impression is that the AF ability of the 7d for sports is somewhere between the 6d and the 5d3. However, that is a pretty big range.

I'm something of a numbers guy: On a non-linear scale of 1 to 100 for sports, if the Canon 1dx is a 100 for a proficient sports shooter, and the 5d3 is a 90, and the 6d is a 30, then where is the 7d?

Or another way of looking at it:

• if a proficient sports action shooter
  • was covering an indoor high school basketball game
  • with so-so lighting and
  • took 100 action pictures
  • of players driving for layups,
  • about how many would be expected to be good enough as far as focus and noise IQ
  • for letter size prints to sell to the athletes' parents?

With 6d? With 7d? With 5d3? With 1Dx?

What about an outdoor game with plenty of light?

Here's my speculations:

• Indoors for the scenario described, the 6d and 7d would end up about the same. The 7d has a significantly better AF, but the 6d allows significantly higher shutter speeds with its significantly better high-ISO performance. ISO 6400 might be required for 1/500 and f2.8. That would be ok with the 6d, but too noisy by the 7d. Or not?
  • Outdoors with plenty of light: the 7d would significantly outperform the 6d, as the issue of high iso is not really a factor. Both would have enough light to use ISO 800 and 1/1000 and f4 to f8.

TMI?

I have little experience with indoor sports with my 6d and 70-200 f2.8L ii. I have been the volunteer photographer at several basketball camps for kiddos. I got almost no keepers of layups during scrimmages at indoor camps. Flash helped, but the 1/180 sync speed was too slow for layups, even with the factor of the effective shutter speed being a mix of 1/180 and 1/1000+. Also, flash wasn't appreciated by the players and coaches.

For outdoor bb camps, I was disappointed by the low keeper rate. Obviously, it was better than indoors, but mediocre. More than a bit of that is due to lack of experience on my part. Non-optimal settings may also have been a factor.

If I get the 7d, I would expect to put a lot more effort into action proficiency. However, I suspect if I put the same effort into getting the most out of my 6d, I'd find the 7d purchase wasn't justified. Or not?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow